We work to build a democratic society in Vietnam through independent journalism, research, and education.
We believe in an informed citizenry, and independent journalism is a vital part of a democratic society that we envision for Vietnam. Thus, we invest in building independent media institutions. Here, at LIV, there is no room for censorship and self-censorship. But independent journalism is not quite enough, we also only invest in quality journalism. These are what we do:
- Luat Khoa Magazine: our first and core project that aims to inform Vietnamese audiences about law, politics, human rights, democracy, rule of law, and environment. Since its beginning in 2014, Luat Khoa Magazine has become one of the leading independent media outlets in the Vietnamese media environment;
- The Vietnamese Magazine: an English publication that aims to raise awareness about Vietnam’s political and legal affairs among the international audience. It started in late 2017 and has remained a small project until now. In 2021, we aim to publish more frequently with better quality articles on The Vietnamese Magazine as we also are in collaboration with the Asia Democracy Chronicles.
LIV aims to provide quality resources for journalists, researchers, policy makers, and advocacy groups. We collect data and produce reports, research papers. Over the years, we have worked on various research projects in internet freedom and religious freedom. Our research interests are certainly going beyond those areas to include democratization, constitutional reform, criminal justice, civil society, and so on.
LIV’s independent journalism program can be seen as civic education because it delivers not only information about contemporary issues, but also knowledge about human rights, democracy and the rule of law. However, other forms of education remain crucial to achieve our goals. Here is what we do:
- Journalism training: We provide paid internship and training opportunities for journalists;
- Translating and compiling books;
- Physical and virtual library.